Alphonse GIROUX (1776-1848)
Alphonse Giroux, “the merchant of the Princes”, is an important Parisian manufacturer of luxury furniture and accessories, whose products were intended for an aristocratic and bourgeois clientele, installed as early as 1799 at No. 7, rue du Coq Saint-Honoré, then Boulevard des Capucines. Founded by François-Simon-Alphonse Giroux under the name “A. GIROUX in PARIS”, it was taken over by the Giroux children and remained active under the name of “Alphonse Giroux et Cie” until 1867, when the direction is taken over by Ferdinand Duvinage.
Rectangular box in ebony veneer inlaid with star patterns, all sides and the cover adorned with finely openwork and chiseled hinges in gilded bronze set with hard stone cabochons, side handles.
Interior upholstered in silk
First half of 19th century, signed Alph. Giroux & Cie Paris
– 18,5 x 35 x 26,5 cm