Bernard BUFFET (1928-1999)
Bernard Buffet is recognised as a master in his art, and his paintings are collected in the most famous museums around the world. The Surugadaira Museum (Japan) is specially dedicated to his works and displays around 1,000 of his works. His paintings are strong and breathtakingly unforgettable. Bernard Buffet’s style can be recognised among others by a network of “dry” straight lines grey faces, wrinkled foreheads, scarce straight hair, tensed hands. His characters seemed crucified.
MUSEUM : Surugadaira (mus. Bernard Buffet), Clermont-Ferrand, Cluny, Marseille (mus. Cantini), Paris (mus. d’Art Moderne), Rome (mus. du Vatican), Toronto, Troyes, Villeneuve d’Asq, Genève, Lille.
Oil on canvas
Signed and dated lower right
Certificate from Galerie Maurice Garnier
– 97 x 130 cm (128 x 160 cm cadre inclus)
– 38 1/4 x 51 1/8 in. (50 3/8 x 62 in. framed)
– Galerie David et Garnier, Paris
– Galerie Lutetia, Königstein, Allemagne
– Pierre Bergé “Bernard Buffet”, éd. Pierre Cailler, Genève, 1958, reproduced p. 165
VENDU / SOLD